- by Peter Taylor, Queen’s University
- July 2016.
- A summer program of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- An exceptional experience for any student who enjoys working with others on good problems.
- Two current buzzwords which fit these activities are “design thinking” and “computational thinking.”
- Subsequent classroom-based research phases are being planned in November 2016 and March 2017, as a part of the major Project Math9-12.
- To gain a real understanding of mathematics, to be able to extend it in new circumstances, students need to engage with it at a higher level of complexity and sophistication, they need to work with structures of enduring artistic or intellectual value.
- Our approach to building this kind of curriculum is to find problems that engage the students in processes of design and construction.