Professor (Wilfrid Laurier University)
Computational Thinking + Math Projects
- Early childhood development.
- Early childhood mathematics.
- Mathematical cognition.
- Post-secondary leadership and policy.
- Kotsopoulos, D., Makosz, S., Zambrzycka, J., & McCarthy, K. (accepted). The effects of different pedagogical approaches on the learning of length measurement in kindergarten. Early Childhood Education Journal.
- Kotsopoulos, D., Lee, J., Cordy, M., & Bruyns, S., (2014). Electronic portfolios in grades one, two, and three: A cautionary tale. Technology, Pedagogy and Education. DOI. 10.1080/1475939X.2014.961952.
- Kotsopoulos, D., & Lee, J. (2014). Let’s talk about math: The LittleCounters approach to early math. Brookes Publishing, Co.
- Kotsopoulos, D., Cordy, M., Langemeyer, M., & Khattack, L. (2014). How do children draw, describe, and gesture about motion? In J. L. Polman, E. A. Kyza, D. K. O’Neill, I. Tabak, W. R. Penuel, A.S. Jurow, . . . L. D’Amico (Eds.), proceedings of the 11th International Conference of the Learning Sciences: Vol. 3 (pp. 1521-1522), Boulder, Colorado: University of Denver at Boulder.[Available at here.]
- Lee, J., Kotsopoulos, D., Tumber, A., & Makosz, S. (2014). Gesturing about number sense. Journal of Early Childhood Research. DOI. 10.1177/1476718X13510914.
- Kotsopoulos, D., Weatherby, C., Woolford, D., & Khattak, L. (2014). Supporting success in post-secondary mathematics education: A cross-sectional institutional analysis. Presentation at the Integrated and Engaged Learning Conference 2014, Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario.
Kotsopoulos, D. (2013). The case of Mitchell’s cube: Interactive and reflexive positioning during collaborative learning in mathematics. Mind, Culture, and Activity: An International Journal. DOI: 10.1080/10749039.2013.790905.
- Kotsopoulos, D., & Lee, J. (2013). What are the development enhancing features of mathematical play? An Leanbh Og: The OMEP Ireland Journal of Early Childhood, 7, 46-78.
- Buzza, D. Kotsopoulos, D., Mueller, J., & Johnston, M. (2013). Exploring the relationship between self-regulated learning and reflection in teacher education. Journal of Teaching and Learning, 9(1), 1-12.
- Kotsopoulos, D. & Lee, J. (2012). A naturalistic study of executive function and mathematical problem-solving. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 31(2), 196-208.
- Kotsopoulos, D., & Lee, J. (2012). An analysis of math congress in an eighth grade classroom. Mathematical Thinking and learning, 14(3), 181-198.
- Kotsopoulos, D., Mueller, J., & Buzza, D. (2012). Pre-service teacher research: Early acculturation into a research disposition. Journal of Education for Teaching, 38(1), 28-36.
- Lee, J., Kotsopoulos, D., & Stordy, C. A. (2012). Mathematically-relevant input during play of a caregiver with a visual impairment and her toddler. International Journal of Early Childhood, 44(1), 71-90.
- Kotsopoulos, D., Lee, J., & Heide. D. ( 2011). A pair-wise analysis of the cognitive demand levels of mathematical tasks used during classroom instruction and those assigned for homework. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education, 11(4), 348-364.
Kotsopoulos, D. (2010). When collaborative is not collaborative: Supporting peer learning through self-surveillance. International Journal of Educational Research, 49, 129-140.
- Kotsopoulos, D. (2010). An analysis of talking aloud during peer collaborations. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 8(6), 1049-1070.
Buzza, D., Kotsopoulos, D., Mueller, J., & Johnston, M. (2010). Investigating a professional development school model of teacher education in Canada. McGill Journal of Education, 45(1), 45-62.
Kotsopoulos, D., Lee, J., & Heide, D. (2010). Investigating mathematical cognition using distinctive features of mathematical discourse, International Journal of Mathematics Education Research, 2, 138-162.
- Kotsopoulos, D., & Cordy, M. (2009). Investigating imagination as a cognitive space for learning mathematics. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 70(3), 259-274.
- Gadanidis, G. & Kotsopoulos, D. (2009). “This is how we do this and this is the way it is.” Factors affecting teachers’ choice of mathematical compass. For the Learning of Mathematics.
- Kotsopoulos, D. & Lavigne, S. (2008). Examining “mathematics for teaching” through an analysis of teachers’ perceptions of student “learning paths.” International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 3(1), 1-23.
- Kotsopoulos, D. (2008). Beyond teachers’ sight lines: Using video modeling to examine the peer discourse. Mathematics Teacher. 101(6), 468-472.
- Kotsopoulos, D. (2007). Unraveling student challenges with quadratics: A cognitive approach. The Australian Mathematics Teacher, 63(2), 19-24.
- Kotsopoulos, D. & Lavigne, S. (2007). What is water pressure? Reflecting on a grade 10 academic performance task. Ontario Mathematics Gazette, 45(3), 25-28.
- Kotsopoulos, D. (2007). Mathematics discourse: “It sounds like hearing a foreign language.” Mathematics Teacher, 101(4), 301-305.
- Kotsopoulos, D. (2006). Researching linguistic discrimination. For the Learning of Mathematics, 26(3), 21-22.
- Kotsopoulos, D., & Taylor, S. (2004). Appropriating the discourse of language in mathematics education. International Journal of Diversity in Organisations, Communities and Nations, Volume 4. (ISSN 1447-9532 (print). ISSN 1447-9583 (online).
- Kotsopoulos, D. (2004). Literacy across the curriculum: Myth, mystery or bi-literacy? The Case of Mathematics Education. TESOL: The Bilingual Basics, 2(6), 1-6.
- Kotsopoulos, D. (2014-2019). Beyond fingers and toes: Mathematical readiness for schooling (SSHRC, $248,598).
- Kotsopoulos, D. & Lee, J. (2013 – 2018). Visual spatial reasoning in young children (NSERC, $125,000).
- Kotsopoulos, D., Keeping, L., Cruikshank, R., McKee, J., & Kelly, M. (2015 – 2017). An analysis of Canadian universities undertaking prioritization (SSHRC, $52,932).
- Lee, J., & Kotsopoulos, D. (2013). MITACS Globalinks Undergraduate Student Grant (MITACS, $15,000 ).
- *Kotsopoulos, D., & Lee, J. (2012 – 2013). User Interface with VINCI Tab (Ontario Centers of Excellence, $54, 274.30). Industry Partner: Rullingnet Corporation.
- Kotsopoulos, D. & Lee, J. (2008 – 2011). Investigating students’ mathematical thinking using video diaries (SSHRC, $99,000).
- Lee, J., & Kotsopoulos, D. (2008 – 2011). Role of adult input on young children’s development of number (SSHRC, $106,000).
- *Bruyns, S., Cordy, M., Kotsopoulos, D., & Lee, J. (2011 – 2013). Assessing for learning and learning to assess in mathematics (Knowledge Network of Applied Education Research, $55,000). Community Partner: Thames Valley District School Board.
*In alphabetical order