University of Alberta
Computational Thinking + Math Projects
- Mathematics Education: Aesthetic and affective dimensions of mathematics education; Beliefs, conceptions and values; Communication and Discourse; Computational Thinking; Embodied and Enactivist theories of learning/doing/being; Ethnomathematics; Ethics; Equity; Gender; Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching (M4T); Popularizations of Mathematics; Poverty alleviation; Social Justice; Spatial Reasoning; Pre-service teacher education.
- Curriculum Studies: Complexity thinking; Decolonizing education; Mythopoetic Curriculum; Popular Culture; Post-colonial Curriculum; Vulnerability Studies; Youth Culture.
- Research Methods: Autobiography; Case Study; Decolonizing Methodologies; Discourse Analysis; Ethnography/Mesography; Interviewing; Video/Film/Image/Text Analysis.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Khan, S. K. (in press). Maroon theory and Me-thou-poeisis. Journal of the Canadian Association of Curriculum Studies.
- Francis, K., Khan, S. K. & Davis, B. (2015). Enactivism, spatial reasoning and coding. Digital Experiences in Mathematics Education (online Dec 02), 20 pages. DOI: 10.1007/s40751-015-0010-4
- Khan, S. K., Francis, K, & Davis, B. (2015). Accumulation of experience in a vast number of cases: Enactivism as a fit framework for the study of spatial reasoning. ZDM, 47, 269-279. DOI 10.1007/s11858-014-0623-x
- Khan, S. K. (2014). Fear and cheating in Atlanta: Evidence for the vulnerability thesis. Transnational Curriculum Inquiry, 1, 1-12.
- Khan, S. K. (2011). Towards a complicated conversation among Disability Studies, Complexity Thinking, and Education. Journal of the Canadian Association of Curriculum Studies (JCACS), 9(2), 5-29.
- Khan, S. K. (2011). Ethnomathematics as mythopoetic curriculum. For the Learning of Mathematics, 31(3), 14-18.
- Khan, S. K. (2011). Ethics and publishing: Book reviews and conflicts of interests.Workplace, 18, 39-43
- Khan, S. K. (2010). Performing oneself differently: A mathemaesthethician’s responsibility. Educational Insights, 13(1), 27 pages.
- Khan, S. K. (2008). The potential of adopting embodied and ethnomathematical perspectives for Caribbean Mathematics Education. Caribbean Curriculum, 15, 133-154.
- Khan, S. K. (2008). Mathematics and the Steel Drum. For the Learning of Mathematics, 28(2), 33-38.
- Khan, S. K. (2006). Harnessing the complexity of children’s consumer culture. Complicity 3(1),39-60. [Reprinted in A. Ghose & S. N. Mookherjee (Eds.) Marketing to Children: Issues and Concerns(Ch 14.) Icfai University Press, India.]
Chapters in Edited Collections
- Francis, K., Khan, S. K. & Davis, B. (2014). Shifting mathematical competencies to develop spatial reasoning. In A. S. Rojas, A. P. Preciado Babb and K. Francis (Eds.). What how and why: An international conversation on mathematics teacher learning (pp, 167-185). Universidad Pedagogia Nacional, Mexico.
- D’Amour, L., Khan, S. K., Davis, B., & Metz, M. (2014). Being well with mathematics 4 teaching: It’s about knowing. In A. S. Rojas, A. P. Preciado Babb and K. Francis (Eds.). What how and why: An international conversation on mathematics teacher learning (pp, 23-41). Universidad Pedagogia Nacional, Mexico.
- Maheux, J-F., Swanson, D. M. & Khan, S. K. (2012). From text to pretext: An ethical turn in curriculum work. In T. Mason & R. J. Helfenebin (Eds.), Ethics and International Curriculum Work: The Challenges of Culture and Context. Information Age Publishers.
- Khan, S. K. (2012). Ethnomathematics, patterns and mathematical minds: A commentary on the chapter by Graeme Were, “From the known to the unknown: Pattern, mathematics and learning in Papua New Guinea.” In H. Forgasz & F. Rivera (Eds.). Towards Equity in Mathematics Education (pp. 433-438). Berlin: Springer.
Published Contributions to Meetings & Symposia
- Floyd, L., Kafai, Y., Khan, S.K., Kotsopoulos, D., Morrison, L., Namakusa, I. K., Somanath, S., Web, J., Yiu, C. (2015). From computational thinking to computational participation: Towards Achieving Excellence through Coding in elementary schools. University of Western Ontario Math + Coding Symposium.
- Khan, S. K. (2013). Two perspectives regarding the pedagogical film All is Number: Critical and Maroon. In S. Oesterle & D. Allan (Eds.) Proceedings of the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group, pp. 189-198.
- Khan, S. K. (2010). Laughing @ Mathematics Education :-0 On the need to engage critically with some troubling values in online mathematics comics. In P. Liljedahl (Ed.) Proceedings of the 2010 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group, pp. 221-222.
- Khan, S. K. (2007). Dialogical relations in a mathematics classroom: Prior and authoritative discourses of students and their teacher in a beginning secondary school. In P. Liljedahl (Ed.) Proceedings of the 2006 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group, pp. 145-146.
- Chen, S. Khan, S. K., Mogdhaddam, A., Namukasa, I., & Stanley, D. (2006). A digital mathematical performance to support the physical embodiment of balanced equations. University of Western Ontario Digital Mathematical Performances Symposium.
Scholarly Book Reviews
- Khan, S. K. (2010). A review of Complexity. A Guided Tour, by Melanie Mitchell, 2009. New York: Oxford University Press. Canadian Journal of New Scholars in Education, 3(1).
- Khan, S. K. (2015). Cover photograph for Spatial Reasoning in the Early Years (Routledge).
- Khan, S. K. (2010). With/out words: Handwriting. Conversations on Curriculum and Pedagogy. Issue 3 (July), 27-30.
- Khan, S. K. (2009). (Dis)ability at the gates (poem). International Journal of Inclusive Education, 13(7), 753. DOI:10.1080/13603110903046036
- Khan, S. K. (2016). Effective and fiscally responsible mathematics teacher education? Poster presented at the FIELDS Institute Mathematics Education Research Day, Toronto, Canada, January 30.
- Francis, K., Khan, S. K. & Davis, B. (2014). Robotics and Spatial Reasoning. Poster presented at the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME) International Meeting, July, Vancouver, BC.
- Khan, S. K. (2013). Design of “Introduction to curriculum studies -4-Mathematics-4-teaching. Poster presented at Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group Annual Meeting, Brock University, St. Catharines, May.
- Khan, S. K. (2011). Design of “Introduction to curriculum studies -4-Mathematics-4- teaching. Poster presented at Investigating our Practices (IOP) 14th Annual Conference, UBC, Vancouver, May 7, 2011.
- Khan, S. K. (2010). Mathematics and the steel drum. Poster presented at the Annual Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME) Meeting, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, July.