Professor (McMaster University)
Computational Thinking + Math Projects
- Interactions Between Mathematics And Programming at a Tertiary Level
- Meaningful CT Tasks in University Math Courses
- Applications to statistical distributions
- Applications to foliations
Mathematical biology and mathematical medicine
- Modelling cancer growth
- Study of allergic asthma
- Modelling the severity of allergic reaction to peanuts
- Narratives in mathematics (textbooks)
- Transition from secondary to tertiary mathematics
- Computational thinking and use of programming to investigate and problem-solve in mathematics
- Applications in mathematics and mathematics in interdisciplinary programs
Journal Papers and Conference Proceedings (partial list)
- Lovric, M. & Mamolo, A (2017). Computational Thinking in and for Undergraduate Mathematics: Perspectives of a Mathematician. 20th Annual Conference on RUME Proceedings. San Diego.
- Lovric, M (Submitted). Programming and Mathematics in an Upper-Level University Problem-Solving Course. PRIMUS.
- M. Abou Chakra, M. Lovric, and J. Stone (2016) Testing a Morphological Model of Echinoid Growth and Form. Submitted to Development Genes and Evolution.
- M. Lovric (2016). Tensions Between Mathematics and Science Disciplines: Creative Opportunities to Enrich Teaching Mathematics, and Science,” Proceedings of WSCE (= Western Science Education Conference); to appear.
- A. Kajander and M. Lovric (2016). Intersections of curriculum, teacher content knowledge, and mathematics textbooks: Implications for teacher horizon knowledge in supporting mathematically accurate classroom constructions. Submitted to Educational Studies in Mathematics.
- F. Caron, M. Lovric (2016). Approaches to Investigating Complex Dynamical Systems. Proceedings of the ICME-13 conference in Hamburg, Germany; to appear.
- A. Burazin and M. Lovric (2015). Learning Portfolio in Mathematics at McMaster University. Feasibility report to MIIETL, McMaster University, 2015.
- F. Caron, D. Lidstone, M. Lovric (2014). Complex Dynamical Systems. Proceedings of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group Meeting, Edmonton, 30 May-3 June, 2014.
- M. Lovric (2014). Math with Programming – Shaken or Stirred? Proceedings of the TIME 2014 – Technology in Mathematics Education conference, Krems, Austria, 1-5 July 2014.
- M. Lovric (2014). Three or Four Eggs in a Quiche? A Vignette on Creating Math Problems. Canadian Math Education Forum, Ottawa, 1-4 May 2014; available at https://cms.math.ca/Events/CMEF2014/vignettes/accepted_vignettes
- M. Lovric (2012). Learning Mathematics in an Interdisciplinary Science Program. Proceedings of the 12th International Congress on Mathematical Education, COEX, Seoul, Korea, pp. 1331-1340.
- M. Lovric (2012). Collaboration Between Research in Mathematics Education and Teaching Mathematics: Case Study of Teaching Infinity in Calculus. Proceedings of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group Meeting, Quebec City, 2012.
- M. Colangelo, M. Lovric, J. Stone (2012). A Mathematical and Computational Model for Simulating Complex Dynamic Cancer Growth and Metastasis. I. J. Comput. Appl. 19(3): 145-153.
- M. Lovric (2011). Thinking About Math. CMS Notes, September 2011.
- M. Lovric, O.Turcotte and W. Whiteley (2010). Recruitment, Attrition and Retention in Post-secondary Mathematics. Proceedings of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group, 2010.
- M. Clark, M. Lovric (2009). Understanding Secondary-Tertiary Transition In Mathematics. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, Volume 40, Issue 6, pp. 755-776.
- L. Fenwick-Sehl, M. Fioroni, M. Lovric (2009). Recruitment and retention of mathematics students in Canadian universities. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, Volume 40, Issue 1, pp. 27-41.
- A. Llop-Guevara, M. Colangelo, D. Chu, C. L. Moore, N. A. Stieber, T. D. Walker, S. Goncharova, A. J. Coyle, P. O’Byrne, M. Lovric, M. Jordana (2008). In vivo-to-in silico Iterations to Investigate Aeroallergen-Host Interactions,” PLoS ONE, 3(6): e2426.
- M. Clark, M. Lovric (2008). Suggestion for a Theoretical Model for the Secondary-Tertiary Transition in Mathematics. Mathematics Education Research Journal, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp 25-37.
- Kajander, M. Lovric (2008). Textbooks In Mathematics Learning: Potential For Misconceptions. Delta-K, Vol 45, No 2, June 2008, pp. 18-20.
- M. Colangelo, M. Lovric, D. G. Harnish, J. Stone (2007). Modelling Diffusional Neighbourhoods of Cancer Cell Migration. In: Bidyut Gupta (Ed.): 22nd International Conference on Computers and Their Applications, CATA-2007, Honolulu, HI, pp. 134-138.
- A. Kajander, M. Lovric (2005). Mathematics Background Survey – An Insight Into Students’ Preparation For University Mathematics Courses. Proceedings of the First Africa Regional Congress of the International Commission on Mathematical Instruction (ICMI), 22 – 25 June 2005.
- A. Kajander, M. Lovric (2005). Transition from Secondary to Tertiary Mathematics: McMaster University Experience. International Journal of Mathematics Education in Science and Technology, Vol. 36, Nos 2-3, pp 149-160.
- A. Kajander, M. Lovric (2004). The double cohort: preliminary research on the transition from secondary to university level mathematics. The Ontario Mathematics Gazette, 42 (4), pp 33-36, 2004.
- M. Lovric (2004). Where Do We Live? Episodes in the Geometrization of Our Space. Proceedings of the ISAMA 2002 Conference, Freiburg, Germany.
- R. Birkan, M. Lovric (2004). Myungsook Lee and The Appropriation of Geometry in the Paintings. McMaster Museum of Art, 2004.
- M. Lovric (2003). Magic Geometry: Mosaics in the Alhambra. In: Meeting Alhambra, ISAMA – Bridges Conference Proceedings, University of Granada, Spain.
- M. Lovric (2002). Interdisciplinary Projects in the Arts and Science Program at McMaster University. Conference Proceedings, ICTM2 Conference, Crete, Greece.
- M. Lovric, K. Trim (2001). Teaching Mathematics Course – Teaching Experience for Undergraduate Students. Positive Pedagogy, Vol 1, No 2, May 2001.
- K. Trim, M. Lovric, D. Harnish, D. Roy (2001). Enhancing Self-Directed Learning Opportunities for Science Students: Science Inquiry at McMaster University. Conference Proceedings, HERDSA Conference, 2001.
- M. Lovric, M. Min-Oo, E.A. Ruh. (2000). Deforming Transverse Riemannian Metrics of Foliations. Asian Journal of Mathematics, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 303-314
- M. Lovric (2000). Compact Orbits of Analytic Killing Vector Fields on Riemannian Manifolds. Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics, Vol. 30, No. 1, 315-323.
Books and Book Chapters (partial list)
- Calculus: Fear No More, review manual, Second Edition, Nelson Education, 2015.
- Calculus for Life Sciences: Modeling the Dynamics of Life, textbook (with F. Adler), Second Edition, Nelson Education, 2014.
- Probability and Statistics for the Life Sciences, textbook, Second Edition, Nelson Education, 2014.
- Functions of Several Variables for the Life Sciences, textbook, Second Edition, Nelson Education, 2014.
- Linear Algebra for the Life Sciences, textbook, Second Edition, Nelson Education, 2014.
- Mathematics Textbooks And Their Potential Role In Supporting Misconceptions, book chapter (with A, Kajander) In: The Best Writing on Mathematics 2010. Mircea Pitici, Eidtor. Princeton University Press, 2010.
- Vector Calculus, textbook, John Wiley and Sons, 2007.
- Adjusting to learning and teaching with inquiry: A qualitative study of McMaster first-year science students and their instructor (with K. Trim, D. Harnish, and D. Roy); In Christopher Knapper, (ed.) Experiences with Inquiry Learning, Hamilton: CLL, McMaster University, 2007.
- Fields Institute Fellow (2015)
- Visiting appointment, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand (2007 and 2011)
- Adrien Pouliot Award, Canadian Mathematical Society (2010)
- Faculty of Science Teaching Award, McMaster University (2008)
- Government of Ontario Leadership in Faculty Teaching Award (2007)
- President’s Award for Excellence in Course or Resource Design, McMaster University (2004)
- Visiting appointment, King’s College, London, England (2002)
- 3M Teaching Fellowship Award (2001)
- OCUFA Teaching Award (2000)