- A study to examine future teachers’ perception of computational thinking for/in mathematics (learning) as they progress through programming-based mathematics activities as part of their required course work.
- Eric Muller, Brock University
- The project will include Brock’s future mathematics teacher participants enrolled in each of the three (1st, 2nd, and 3rd-year respectively) programming-based math courses named MICA I-II-III, and in UOIT’s B.Ed. program, which includes two (5th -year) content-based courses on mathematical reasoning and coding & communication. In both cases, the programming-based activities occur in courses which supplement the pedagogical methods preparatory courses offered in teacher education.
- Completed data collection:
- Brock University: April 2017
- UOIT: November 2016
- Monaghan, M., & Buteau, C. (2017). My Engagement with and Views on Computational Thinking as a Mathematics (MICA) Co-op Honours Student. Poster presentation at the Math Gallery, Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group 2017, McGill University (Canada), June 2017.
- Buteau, C. & Muller, E. (2017). Coding + Math at University: Just like Mathematicians do it! In Math+Code’Zine, 2 (3), May 2017.
- Buteau, , Gadanidis, G., Lovric, M., & Muller, E. (2017). Computational Thinking and Mathematics Curricula / La pensée computationnelle et le programme de mathématiques. In Proceedings of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group (CMESG) 2017, Kingston (Canada), June 2016, 119-135.
- Buteau, C. Mamolo, A., Muller, E., & Monaghan, M. (forthcoming). Computational Thinking in Mathematics: Undergraduate Student Perspectives. Poster presentation at 21st Annual Conference on Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education (RUME) Proceedings. San Diego, February 2018.